On June 2, 2011, First Lady Michelle Obama introduced the government's new food icon and it's plate. This new icon is to help consumers make healthier food choices. Check out the full report at the USDA Report and also go to Choose My Plate for more guidelines. Healthy Choices start at your dinner table.
- Enjoy your food, but eat less
- Avoid oversized portions
Food to Increase:
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
Food to Reduce:
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread and frozen meals - and choose the foods with lower numbers
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
Love Food So Good Mall